Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hey Everyone,
Sorry I haven't been writing. I think whats holding me back is how difficult it is to truly encapsulate Ghana on paper. This is not only because of how beautiful it is (and it is), but also because of the devestaingly poor that exist in Ghana too. Just like the United States, Ghana is losing its middle class. Where I live, in Labone, and where I go to school both and look and feel like a tropical paradise. The streets are lined with palm trees sheltering lime green coconuts and the branches look like outstrecthed arms waving with the breeze. Mango trees, banana trees, and papaya trees all peak over neighboring fences bearing infant fruit that is not yet ripe for picking. "In February" my homestay dad reassures me.
This affluent area, despite its distinct differences, still reminds me of home. The streets are paved, the students have ipods, and their is a general sense of security you get from all the smiling faces and warm greetings. The landscapes shows the work of skilled eyes, and even the bases of the trees are painted white to blend with the fences.
Everyone says hello, whether it is the security guard for the school or a student you've never met. There is just a certain sense of community and empathy here that I find so refreshing! This area feels like a cozy cocoon that gently beckons you inside and tucks you away from the other side of Accra. In fact, I only see glimpses of Ghanian life in Accra that is experienced by the majority . more to come

3 comments:

Cecelia said...

Hello Christina!! I am enjoying reading your adventure in Ghana. I think it's great in today's day and age there are computers and blogging. Having a blog is like writing a story about your life that you will have to share with your children and their families. A history of all the wonderful things you do and accomplish that leave me in awe. I am one of the lucky ones to personally know the Bernardo family and have the honor of knowing you. Enjoy and be well. Love, Ceil

Francis Prior said...

This is my belated appreciation of your web log. Just so you know, today, where I am it was 22 degrees Fahrenheit, without snowing. Enjoy the palm trees while you still can!

AJ said...

Hey there. I searched "Ghana" on Villanova's facebook website and you popped up. I am a Ghanaian currently studying at Villanova and I am so thrilled that you are having a great time at home (my home that is). I know you will enjoy your stay and I look forward to reading more of your adventures.